Monday, February 25, 2013

I Feel So Dirty....

I just violated a chicken.

Auntie had me doing unspeakable things to the poor bird!

As much as I enjoy chicken, I don't really like to cook them. Cutlets are fine, but anything with bones just seems too involved. Besides, my local grocery sells them already cooked and ready to go for under $7....so why the hell would I fuss around with a salmonella bomb when I can have it already prepared for me?

The only time I fuss with a bird is for Thanksgiving. I loooove making turkey! I have no problem sticking my hands between the skin and the meat and massaging the herb butter all over it. I clean it and rub it and tie it all up. Somewhere right now my Kosher grandmother is rolling over in her grave. And if my Vegetarian husband is reading this, he's trying not to throw up in his mouth.

A chicken just doesn't seem worth the effort, but Auntie has a recipe for Perfect Roast Chicken. Here's the link:

Ina's Perfect Roast Chicken

I got my supplies, which were pretty basic. Onion, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, butter and fresh thyme. Upon reading the recipe I see that Ina wants me to shove the majority of these items up the chicken's hoo-ha. Ok. I can handle that. But for some reason all of those things did not want to fit into my chicken. I had to cram the 2 lemon halves, a head of garlic and a bunch of thyme in there and it did not want to go. I was getting a little disturbed that I was having to become a little too familiar with this bird. The last lemon half only went partially in, so I had to call it a day and just tie it all up. I'll share with you  a photograph of the poor, molested bird...


I shoved that thing in the oven and walked the hell away. Ugh. I also made Ina's Roasted Carrots to go with it, since it was simple and I had a bag of carrots about to die in the fridge.

Here is the link:

Roasted Carrots

No glamour shots of those, but I have to say they were REALLY good! I don't like cooked carrots at all, and I ate these no problem. The kid even choked two down without throwing up!

As for the chicken, that was looking and smelling pretty darn good after about an hour and a half. Here it is out of the oven...


Yep. It's a chicken. I also made gravy as Auntie suggested. I have to be honest. While this was a perfectly tasty chicken, I prefer the rotisserie ones they sell at my independent grocer. Therefore, I will not be shoving my hand into a bird again until Thanksgiving.

For my next culinary experience, I will be making cupcakes for my son's 10th birthday. Not Ina. As much as I loooove her cupcake recipes they are not popular amongst the tween set. Once a year I test my patience by making a ridiculous facsimile of whatever it is that my son is into at that time. So this time it's Minecraft cupcakes. I'll be taking you along with me on that journey. Heads up. It involves templates, aerosol frosting spray, and fruit leather. Start praying for me now!

No comments:

Post a Comment