Sunday, October 20, 2013

Oh. My. Cod.

Recently most have my posts have been positive ones where I am swooning over my new found love for cauliflower and spaghetti squash.

Cooking new recipes, especially ones found online with no prior reviews can be a gamble. The odds have been in my favor for the last few creations. Until last night.

I had gone to Whole Foods with my BF and bought some fresh, wild caught cod that was on sale. Fish isn't really my thing...especially cooking it. I have finally mastered cooking salmon since starting the 17 Day Diet...and I really enjoy it. I must have been feeling pretty confident when I decided to buy that cod. I know its bland and not fishy, but that was the extent of my experience. I think I've only had it fried or breaded and baked. This was going to be interesting.

When I got home I went straight to Pinterest to search for recipes. I also checked Epicurious but did not have the time and ingredients for the dishes that sounded interesting. On Pinterest I found a few that looked good but they all seemed to have sugar in the recipe...a no-no on the 17DD. I finally found one that was a mixture of ginger, soy sauce, orange rind, oil, and honey. I swapped agave (apparently an ok substitute) for the honey. Mixed it up, poured it over the cod, covered with foil and baked.

I won't even show you a picture of what came out of the oven. It was a white, squishy plop surrounded by brown liquid.



Not knowing what to do, I threw it back into the oven and turned it to broil. That seemed to brown it up a bit and take away the pale, flabbiness of the dish. If I wanted to see pale flabbiness I can look in the mirror. I don't want to see it on my plate!

I dished it out and suffered through it...but it was pretty damn gross. And chewy. My husband said he liked it but I tend to doubt it. I gave him the rest of mine. I couldn't finish.

So the bad news is that the cod was an epic fail. Good news? My scale was down one and a half pounds this morning. Yucky cod = less dinner eaten = good loss in the morning. And that was about all the cod was good for.

No comments:

Post a Comment