Monday, November 11, 2013

Loafin' Around

After returning from vacation it was time to start Cycle 1 again. After the sweet taste of peanut butter in Cycle 3 it was not quite as fun starting over at the beginning. After two months, the thrill of a new plan is gone and it was time to try out some new recipes. The thought of salad with shredded chicken or turkey on a daily basis just wasn't keeping me motivated.

Luckily, one of my 17DD BF's had pinned a link to a bunch of interesting looking recipes right before vacation. I printed a few out and decided on the Feta-Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf with Tzatziki Sauce. My whole family has been inhaling Tzatziki (yogurt) Sauce on a regular basis since I started this diet. The Chicken Souvlaki has become a staple, with my ten year old asking for it every week and butchering the name. Chicken Tzaslaki. I guess it works...a combo of souvlaki and tzatziki?

The recipe was easy enough, the only thing I left out were the breadcrumbs and/or coconut flour that it calls for. I did not make the tzatziki because I have found one at my local grocer that I absolutely love.


The turkey meatloaf was a pretty basic recipe. Saute some onions and spinach together, then add to the turkey with egg and some seasonings. The recipe had called for bread crumbs or coconut flour but sticking to Cycle 1 I used neither and it didn't seem to cause any issues with the meatloaf.

I spread half of the meat out onto a sheet pan, shaped into a loaf and then covered with feta. The recipe called for one cup...I used a six ounce container of reduced fat feta and it was plenty.





After spreading out the feta, I covered it with the rest of the meatloaf mixture:




Baked it up, and that was it! Here is a cross-section of the finished product so you can see the line of feta cheese in the middle:


I was SO glad that I tried this. I absolutely love it, especially with the tzatziki sauce. It was just different enough than the turkey meatloaf/muffins that I have been eating for the last couple of months and it got me excited about trying more new recipes!

Here's the link to the recipe. Remember...leave out the flour/crumbs and cut the cheese (LOL! I did it again!) if you are doing 17 Day Diet. 




No comments:

Post a Comment