Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Barefoot Contessa Make it Ahead. Let's Review!

Being the Auntie Ina fan that I am, I was at my local Target bright and early this month on the day that the latest of her cookbooks was released.


I hope the recipes are as good as the Photoshop job they did on her face! Here's the real deal….


I still love her though. Neck waddle or no neck waddle.

Curiously, the first recipe in the book is for dog biscuits. DOG BISCUITS.

I'm at a loss on this one. Dog biscuits as the opening recipe. Mmmmkay. Way to set the tone, Auntie.


After the dog treats, the first section is Cocktails. I don't really drink, so the Summer Rose Sangria, JalapeƱo Margaritas and Cranberry Martinis are lost on me. But the rest of the chapter was surprisingly healthy AND delicious sounding minus the Truffled Chicken Liver Mousse. Oh, Auntie. Don't make Chopped Liver and call it Mousse. It's Chopped Liver and it belongs at my grandma's house. Feh. But…Parmesan Kale Chips, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Marinated Herbed Feta and a Greek Mezze Platter all look like winners to me.



Next we move onto Starters. For soup we have Zucchini Basil, Wild Mushroom & Farro, and Cauliflower and Celery Root Soup. None have more than 2 tablespoons of butter or cream for the entire recipe…a pleasant surprise! A couple of salads…Ceasar Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon, Warm Fig and Arugula. Spanish Tapas Peppers, Tomato and Burrata, and Bruschettas with Sauteed Chard. Not too bad. I've got my eye on you, Warm Fig and Arugula Salad.





Let's proceed to the chapter called Lunch. More salads, including Crunchy Iceberg with Creamy Blue Cheese, Summer Paella Salad, and French Green Bean Salad with Goat Cheese. Bzzzt for all three of those for me. My palate does not handle goat cheese very well. Iceberg? No. Paella…unfortunately can't do shellfish. There is a gorgeous and healthy looking Winter Slaw with shredded kale and brussels sprouts. Ham and Leek Empanadas and Tomato and Mozzarella Pan Bagnat….neither of which thrill me. Quinoa Tabbouleh with Feta…you lost me at Quinoa and Tabbouleh. Not a fan of either. Lastly, Zucchini and Goat Cheese Tart….second goat cheese recipe already. Not a good chapter for me.



Maybe Dinner will fare better?

Oh, hello Roast Chicken with Bread and Arugula Salad!! Aren't you gorgeous?


There's everything from Slow-Roasted Spiced Pork to Roasted Vegetable Lasagna and Garlic and Herb Roast Shrimp in this chapter. Lots of good looking options.

Vegetables. Love to see a big chapter here. Not sure what Auntie was thinking making a Spinach and Ricotta Noodle Pudding. Again…kugel does not need to have spinach and ricotta in it and belongs back at Grandma's with the chopped liver. Double Feh.

There's everything from Pear and Parsnip Gratin, Stuffed Zucchini, Carrot and Cauliflower Puree, Baked Farro and Butternut Squash to Mashed Potatoes. With Goat Cheese. Again. Stop. With. The. Goat. Cheese. 


Onto Dessert. Now this chapter I have actually made something from. My husband had a potluck lunch and I tested out the Fresh Apple Spice Cake. It was very good. There are Salty Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies, Chocolate Cake with Mocha Frosting, Blueberry Pie, Tres Leches Cake, Ginger Shortbread and many others. 



To end the majority of her books, Ina usually goes with Breakfast. Make It Ahead is no exception. Overnight Belgian Waffles, Chocolate Banana Crumb Cake, Mini Italian Fritattas, Sour Cream Corn Bread and more. 

There you have it. I linked one recipe in each category if you feel like experimenting in the kitchen. I'm kind of hurt that Auntie invited Taylor Swift over to cook with her and not me. Guess I'll just have to shake it off?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment