Saturday, April 6, 2013

Let's Hear It For The Boy!

Today's post is decidedly un-Ina.

I needed to take a break and showcase a favorite that my son absolutely loves. He got a great report card, and had a faaaabulous conference (had to get a little Auntie in there somewhere!), so I decided to make him one of his favorites.

Potato Chip Chicken.

Yep. You heard me. Potato chip crusted chicken. Not very Ina-rific.

But....a huge hit with the kids. I got the recipe from Family Fun, a sort of Martha Stewart-esque magazine that is geared to parents with young children. Well, sort of. I guess the only way it is really Martha-ish is in the fact that it has lots of great ideas that you will never, ever try even though they look relatively easy. Then you'll feel like garbage because you were too tired and or lazy to do those things.

My mother-in-law has been sending me a subscription to this magazine for years and years. In those years I have tried about three things that I saw in the pages. One of them being the Potato Chip Chicken.

Do not mistake this post as a ringing endorsement of this recipe. It is a HUGE favorite of my son but is in no way the most spectacular chicken in the world. Your child may hate it. The fun of it is using different kinds of potato chips in the recipe. The two favorites in our house are Honey Barbecue and Dill Pickle...they seem to add a fun flavor to the chicken. I would imagine you could use any kind of chip, including tortilla. Pretzels may work too. If you want to get "fancy" about it there is a great recipe from the now-defunct Gourmet Magazine for Oven Fried Chicken Fingers made with Corn Flakes that came out when my son was very little. I've made it a few times and it is very good, but there is too much butter happening. I suppose Auntie would prefer that one too! I'll add a link at the end of the post.

The Family Fun recipe isn't terrible at all...the unhealthiest part are the chips. I suppose you could use baked chips to keep the calories down. It is literally 4 ingredients not counting salt and pepper.

Here they are about to go in the oven. Tonight we used Honey BBQ chips....


And after they're done, along with some fresh spinach and pickles. He never eats cooked vegetables, but he has no problems with raw. Whew!


There you have it. Boys who get good report cards get to choose what Mommy makes for dinner. Potato Chip Chicken. Here is the link for the recipe....Potato Chip Chicken Fingers and one for the "highbrow" version from Gourmet....Oven Fried Chicken Fingers

Everyone gets to take turns in my house, and even though Auntie Ina has dominated since I have been blogging, I will always honor special requests from my two favorite boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment