Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mexi-Plop

Not the most appetizing of names, I know.

There have been many variations of Mexi-Plop in my household over the past 16 years. It started with layering tortillas, refried beans, salsa and cheese in a casserole and baking it, much like a lasagna.

It has mutated into nacho-type dinners, or plop made with both hard and soft taco shells, or just plop on top of a fried corn tortilla. Regardless of the combination and ingredients, it always just looked like some form of plop on a plate. Not attractive at all, but always yummy. It hits the Mexican spot without having to go out to a Mexican restaurant and suffer through the strolling caballeros, gorging on the chips and salsa and never finishing the main entree, or even worse…having a well-meaning waiter place one of those lice-filled sombreros on your head if it's your birthday!

Since starting the 17 Day Diet I don't have too many cravings. Once in a while one will strike and I will usually indulge. This week I have been having some Mexi-Plop cravings so I thought I would see what I could do to make something that would satisfy and stay within a healthy range.

I present to you….Healthy Mexi-Plop Salad


I started with some ground beef mixed with taco seasoning. Ground turkey would be even healthier…but I was really in a red meat mood! I bought some 90% lean beef and used that.

Honestly, that's all the real work involved!

The rest is some salad thrown in a bowl, some shredded low-fat cheese, black olives, and a half of an avocado. For dressing I just added a touch of reduced-fat sour cream. It blended with the taco seasoning from the meat and made it a great choice instead of a bottled dressing.

I did break the no carbs after 2 pm rule and tossed in a couple of tortilla chips. I know, I am going straight to hell. I figured 5 chips won't kill me as long as that doesn't open the door to further carbohydrate temptation!

There you have it. Lightened up Mexi-Plop. Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment