Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Breakfast. It's What's For Dinner.

Once a week in my house we have breakfast for dinner.

I'm not sure when the tradition started, but its a favorite of everyone's.

The three of us all have different diets. Mine is for weight loss. The husband is a Vegetarian. The kid is a picky pain in the ass.

Breakfast covers all of the bases for us.

There are ALWAYS at least three components. Eggs, breakfast meat, and some sort of breakfast bread.

The meat is typically bacon, either turkey bacon or the new Applegate Farms Good Morning Bacon that has 60% less fat than regular bacon.


Once in a blue moon I'll bust out a ham steak. Trader Joe's used to have a really good one from Niman Ranch.

The meat is eaten by me (the dieter) and the PITA (pain in the you know what).

Then comes the breakfast bread.

As much as I love to cook with whole ingredients, I find that not only is it easier to use a mix for pancake, it tastes better too. I usually go with Krusteaz brand. Sometimes Trader Joe's.

If it's a Sunday and they really want it, we bust out the waffle maker. This only happens a few times a year.

If my mother-in-law has visited and has brought her umpteenth loaf of Red, White and Blue Bread from Wegman's I will turn that sucker into french toast.


It has blueberries and cranberries and is covered with sugar on the outside. It's good. Trust me.

All of those delicious sounding bread items? Waffles, pancakes, french toast? I don't eat them. Those are for the Vegetarian and the PITA.

Now we get to the eggs.

If I am totally short on time they get scrambled or over hard. If I am trying to comfort my husband they get made into Toad in the Hole.


Most of the time I make a frittata, or egg pie. I eat this one, and so does the Vegetarian. The PITA hates eggs, so this one is out for him.

Egg pie involves taking whatever vegetables I have laying around, sautéing them, and then mixing with egg and low-fat cheese and baking it in the oven.

When I was younger I insisted on using my frittata pan and cooking it first on top of the stove and then into the oven.

Now that I am older and wiser and shorter on time, I just mix everything and throw it into a Pyrex baking dish.

Here's a basic recipe…and amounts are not exact. It's a true mish-mash type of thing.

Sautee vegetables in some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (Mushrooms, onion, spinach, artichoke hearts, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, etc)

Scramble 8 eggs, and add the vegetables.

Pour in a splash of milk or water. Add some low-fat cheese. I love to use the low-fat feta from Trader Joe's, but you can do any kind of shredded or crumbled cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 in a 8 inch square or round dish for about 30 minutes.

That's it. Easy, right?

This is the one I made tonight:



Mine had mushrooms, fresh spinach and feta.

You really can't go wrong with this one, and its delish hot or cold.

Sometimes there are hash browns for the Veg and the PITA, and fresh fruit. For some reason tonight the PITA wanted cucumber salad with his, and who am I to argue with a healthy choice like that?

Try breakfast for dinner for a change…it will fit the bill for everyone in your home!

No comments:

Post a Comment