Monday, November 10, 2014

Chicken Soup For The Cold

I won't even get into the fact that I haven't posted in almost three months.

So, this happened:






And this happened:



Then there was all of this:


Which all meant I spent a few months giving the finger to the 17 Day Diet:



But now?

I'm back! With a few extra pounds, so it's time to go Cycle 1 again.

I really wanted to change things up this time so I didn't get sick of the usual standbys. I spent some time scouring Pinterest and reviewing the hundreds of 17 Day Diet friendly recipes I had pinned over the past year. I even started to sort them into categories. All I needed to do now was get off my ass and get into the kitchen.

Here in the Northeast, its getting chilly. Soup, stew and chili time. I hadn't really found any Cycle 1 soups that I really loved in the past year, but this time we have a winner!!

Italian Egg Drop Soup with Meatballs


I adapted the recipe from someone who I typically avoid at all costs. I know that there are some people that love her, but I just can't do it. She literally frightens my husband and child. I never made a recipe of hers that was outstanding. I don't even like to say her name. Let's just call her Hachel Hay.

I left out the breadcrumbs to make it C1 appropriate…and it can be eaten at any time on C2 & C3. I changed up some of the amounts of things as well and it worked out nicely. I also switched it from dark meat turkey to chicken breast. Here's my version:

Italian Egg Drop Soup with Chicken Meatballs

1 pound of ground chicken breast
4 large eggs
1/2 cup grated (REAL) Parmesan
salt and pepper
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 head escarole, coarsely chopped
1 lemon, cut in wedges

In a large bowl, combine chicken, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup parmesan and a 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. Roll the mixture into 3/4 inch meatballs and set aside.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and slightly browned, about 8 minutes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs, and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Stir in the escarole.

In a small bowl, lightly beat the remaining 2 eggs with 1 tablespoon water and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle egg mixture into the simmering broth, pushing meatballs and escarole aside. Stir in remaining parmesan cheese and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with lemon wedge.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment