Sunday, November 16, 2014

There's Fancy, and There's Funny

The fancy name for this next recipe would be something like Chicken and Eggplant Bolognese.

The funny name, which I use in my house and amongst my 17 Day Diet local crew is Eggplant Plop.

It isn't the first time I've deigned something "plop." I believe back in February of this year I wrote about Mexi-Plop.

Not a pretty word, I know. But this recipe isn't particularly pretty. But is is one of the ultimate comfort foods for me.

Bolognese is traditionally a sauce over pasta, and this certainly can be eaten with pasta or spaghetti squash. I prefer it as is, in a bowl or a mug. Hot or cold. It is my go-to recipe that continues to evolve every time I make it. Over the course of a year I must have made a variation of it practically every week. I just can't seem to go without it!

There aren't many ingredients involved….

1 pound of ground chicken breast
1 eggplant, peeled and diced
1 8 ounce package of mushrooms, chopped
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
Fat-free mozzarella
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt & pepper


Veggies ready to prep
Ground chicken in the pan

Almost ready for sauce
Sauce added
First half of sauce with cheese

Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in pan, sauté ground chicken. Break into pieces. After chicken seems cooked at least halfway through, add the eggplant and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. 

Saute until eggplant and mushrooms have softened and browned. Then add the jar of sauce.

In an 8 or 9 inch square dish, add half of the bolognese. Then sprinkle with cheese. Add rest of sauce on top and top with some more of the shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

And there ya have it. Ground chicken and eggplant bolognese. Or eggplant plop. You choose! I'm sticking with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment