Monday, March 31, 2014

Meatza, Meatza!

Boy, did that hit the spot!

Who knew that something so seemingly simple (and a little gross-sounding) could be SO delicious?

What is a "meatza" you ask?

Basically, it is a crust made of meat. Ground beef, chicken, or turkey. The meat can be seasoned simply with salt and pepper…or a variety of seasonings to make it Italian, Greek, Mexican, etc.

The meat is mixed with the seasonings and pressed into an 8-inch round pan, then baked in the oven. This is what puts the "meat" in meatza!


After it bakes for about 15-20 minutes at 450, flip it out onto a lined baking sheet. Cover with toppings and throw back into the oven until the cheese melts.

My first meatza was a classic one. Marinara, fat free mozzarella and turkey pepperoni:


This was EXACTLY what I needed that day. Just some good old comfort food. I ate half, then ate the other half the next day for lunch straight out of the refrigerator ice cold. It was that good!

As soon as it was gone, I wanted more. Not really a good idea though…too much meat isn't going to move the scale.

I waited a few days and tried another meatza using ground turkey breast. I did the same thing as before and mixed it with salt and pepper. Pressed it into the same 8-inch round cake pan and baked it up.

While it was baking, I sautéed some onions and mushrooms in a bit of oil until they were nice and caramelized. After the turkey was cooked through I put it on a cookie sheet, added some fat free shredded cheddar, and topped with the mushroom and onion mixture.


Let me say…this was JUST as good as the beef version, and I felt a little less guilty eating it.

I think next week I may try the turkey again with some Mexican seasoning…possibly spreading a thin layer of beans on top? The possibilities are endless! Go make yourself a meatza!!

Meatza

20-24 ounce package of ground beef, chicken, or turkey, divided in half (freeze the other half)
season with salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425. Press meat into an 8-inch round cake pan in a thin layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes until done.

Remove from oven, place on lined cookie sheet. Cover with toppings of choice and put back into oven until heated through.

Italian: Add oregano to meat. Top with marinara, mozzarella, veggies
Mexican: Add taco flavoring to meat. Top with salsa, beans, cheddar, jalapeño
Greek: Add oregano and garlic to meat. Top with spinach, feta, tzatziki
Patty Melt: Top with cheddar or swiss and sautéed onions and mushrooms

I'm sure there are loads of combinations to try out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment