Sunday, March 16, 2014

Basil-Lime…..Sublime!

Ok, you know this one is good when it gets the seal of approval from an eleven year old boy!

I have to admit I was a little concerned about this one. I like basil, and I like lime..but I don't LOVE them. I don't seek those flavors out when it comes to poultry. Still, I was starting Cycle 1 again on the 17 Day Diet and needed a kick in the pants with some new recipes. A girl can only live on Turkey and Eggplant Plop and Chicken Souvlaki for so long.

So, I gathered my ingredients and got ready to test out another Pinterest find.


Ok, so Worcestershire is not necessarily Cycle 1 friendly…but it's better than eating a bag of chips. Right?

The chicken is marinated in a delicious combo of the ingredients seen above for an hour in the fridge. Ideally I would be heating up the grill outside, but it was still ridiculously cold here in Connecticut and I was not in the mood to freeze my giblets off trying to cook this chicken. The grill pan was used instead.


The other reason I didn't want to go outside was because I was multi-tasking. My son is receiving an award in a couple of days where we have to get dressed up and go to a banquet. Because I gave up heels somewhere around 2003, I had to get some practice in with my boots. I was quite the sight in my workout clothes and these suckers on:


After the chicken rests, it gets cut into bite size pieces. A combination of lime juice, garlic, basil and olive oil is drizzled over the top. That's it. 


The kid wandered into the kitchen in search of food, and asked what I was making. I offered him some chicken, and waited with baited breath to see if he spit it out…as he's known to do with anything new and different. Surprisingly, he snatched up a few more pieces and shoved them into his tween-sized mouth before he skittered away. When I asked what he wanted for dinner, he told me he wanted more of "that awesome chicken!" The boy ate it cold. So it must be good!

It made a nice amount, so I will be having some in a salad at lunch tomorrow. It's great for also just grabbing a bite or two as a protein-filled snack.

Here's the link….let me know if you try it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment