Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's All Greek to Me!

On Day 5 of Cycle 1 of the 17 Day Diet I decided to make Chicken Souvlaki.

I love Greek food. I grew up on Long Island where we had an abundance of Greek restaurants. Here in Connecticut they are few and far between, and I miss being able to easily grab a salad with chicken gyro or some souvlaki.

Knowing that on the first 17 days of this diet I can only have chicken breast, turkey breast, eggs and some fish for protein has me searching my brain for all of the ways I can cook these things without getting utterly sick of them. Tonight I hit a home run with this recipe for Chicken Souvlaki that I adapted from online.

Chicken Souvlaki

6 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried oregano
4 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, minced (I use the DOROT frozen cubes...so easy)
1.5 pounds chicken cutlets, cut into 1 inch pieces

wooden skewers, grill pan

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large Ziplock bag. Add cubed chicken and shake. Put in refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes. Shake bag around or turn over about 15 minutes through to make sure chicken is marinating evenly.

Remove chicken from bag and thread on skewers. Cook on grill pan coated with cooking spray on medium-high heat until cooked through.


Serve with Tzatziki....also Cycle 1 friendly with greek yogurt, garlic, cucumber and dill. Here is a link to the recipe:

Tzatziki


This was SO good, and I did not feel like I was eating "diet" food at all. My son loved the chicken, my vegetarian husband loved the Tzatziki. Winner all around, and going into my rotation for sure! There is plenty of Tzatiki left, and it will be used for veggie dip tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment