Tuesday, September 10, 2013

It Dropped Below 50 Degrees....I'm Making Soup!


I love soup, but won't touch it in the summer. It's just too hot. As soon as we got our first crisp night in New England, I decided I wanted to make some 17 Day Diet Friendly Soup. I had been compiling different recipes from websites and marking the ones that I wanted to try and figured I would start with something simple, Roasted Tomato Soup.

Oddly enough, I despise tomatoes. I will eat sauce, soup, ketchup, etc...but never ever a raw tomato. I don't even like handling them but sucked it up in order to try out this recipe. It was quick and easy, and I am glad I pushed myself to try it out.

You may want to season it a bit more, I was trying to keep the salt at a minimum. I added a pinch of parmesan to my cup and it was fantastic. 

Roasted Tomato Soup

20 plum tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
1 onion, sliced thickly
6 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Parmesan to garnish (2 teaspoons is a 20 calorie serving)

Preheat oven to 350

Line 2 cookie sheets with foil, and put tomatoes skin side up with garlic, onion, olive oil and some salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes.

Take the skin off the tomatoes...it peels very easily. Throw them away! Then put all of the ingredients into the blender, including the juices from the pan. You'll have to do this in two batches. Blend until smooth.

This was so good, and lasted for days. I put a sprinkle of fresh parmesan on top. The last day I had it I even crumbled up some turkey meatloaf and veggies into it and made a "stoup" out of it. Now that cooler weather is ahead, it is perfect to have on hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment