Friday, March 21, 2014

The Return of Auntie

An appearance by Auntie Ina is long overdue!

I had a little inspiration when I walked into the grocery store the other day and there was a  sale display of eggplant and red peppers. It dawned on me that there was an old Auntie recipe that incorporated those two ingredients, along with a few others. After a quick check on my iPhone, I saw that all of the ingredients were completely 17 Day Diet friendly with no modifications needed! No trademark Auntie decadence, etc. Just a few simple whole ingredients.

Eggplant
Red Pepper
Red Onion
Garlic
Tomato Paste
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper


That is IT, people!

What happens with these few ingredients is magical! They are roasted in the oven, then pureed in the food processor. That's it. It can then be served with crudite and pita wedges. It is absolutely delicious.



After dipping some veggies, I found myself wondering what else I could do with this concoction. It didn't take long to come up with this:


Sliced grilled chicken, roasted eggplant spread, crumbled reduced-fat feta. Let me tell you, it was GOOD! I think even Auntie would approve of how I turned her dip into something different!

Here is the link to the eggplant spread:

Roasted Eggplant Spread



No comments:

Post a Comment