Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Conscious Coupling (With Artichokes)

Now that we are three days into the New Year, I'd better get started with this cookbook challenge!

#1 of 99....


She isn't everybody's favorite, but this book happens to have some really great recipes in it.

Yes, her website GOOP is pretentious. Everything from her suggestions of a $205 bra (the only way I would pay $205 for a bra is if it was made out of a casting of George Clooney's hands that would hold up my boobs all day long) to the recommendation that you stay at the Plaza OR the Gramercy Park Hotel with your kids when you visit NYC. Even her separation from her husband was phrased as a "conscious uncoupling." I suppose when your kids are named after fruit and biblical characters you have to find a creative way of letting people know that you and your partner can't stand to be with each other anymore.

Despite all of this, Gwyneth has given me the most amazing recipe for Miso Dressing and Kale Chips before they were cool.

So while I may have unsubscribed to goop.com and refrained from buying her newer cookbook, My Father's Daughter is too good to give up.

Tonight I am trying out her Artichoke and Parmesan Frittata.

Due to being on day 3 of Cycle 1 on the 17 Day Diet, I have to make a few adjustments to the original recipe.

I left out the milk and butter that it calls for, and added 2 more eggs. I also cut the cheese (giggle) and cooked a bit differently than she suggests.

Here are all of the ingredients lined up:


Shallots in the pan:


Here is where I stopped taking pictures because I was multi-tasking with everyone in the kitchen. The boys were making guacamole on one side, and I had the frittata going on the stove, some turkey sausage patties being put together, and carrots roasting. I also had a skillet of pancakes cooking up for the carb-eaters. You can see how I would get distracted.

I did manage to get the final product:

Granted, it looks kind of gross. Maybe it looks a bit better on the plate?

Yes, a bit better.

I have to say, I LOVED this. I am a big artichoke fan though. I am not sure how someone who wasn't into artichoke hearts would feel about it, but in my house it was a big winner. As were the homemade turkey sausage patties. Even the kiddo ate those!

Here is my adaptation:

Artichoke and Parmesan Frittata

Preheat oven to 375

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 14 ounce can of artichoke hearts in water, drained and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
8 large eggs
2 T water
1/4 cup parmesan
1 Teaspoon Herbs De Provence (Gwyn says 1 Tsp of tarragon but I was out)
salt
pepper

Sautee shallots in the olive oil until soft and barely brown. Add artichoke hearts, herbs, salt and pepper and sauté briefly.

Spray 8 inch baking dish with PAM

Transfer shallot and artichoke mixture to baking dish.

Whisk eggs and water, add in 1/4 cup parmesan and pour over the artichoke heart mixture. Bake for about 25 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment