Saturday, January 24, 2015

Yo, Adrian!

I'm going to interrupt my project of working my way through my 98 cookbooks to share this recipe.

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak in a Cauliflower Wrap

Last week I just made the "insides" of the chicken cheesesteak because I was having a wicked craving. I just caramelized some onions, slivered up some chicken cutlet, and mixed with a wedge of Laughing Cow Light. Ate it just like that out of the glass measuring cup I had heated it up in. It totally hit the spot!

I had also made the BBQ Chicken Pizza with cauliflower crust last week and had a crust left over that I stuck in the fridge. It held its shape and taste for a few days and I found myself eating it as bread one day and thinking how amazing it would be as a wrap for my chicken cheesesteak.

Well, here I am on a snowy day and finding myself with all of the ingredients to make it happen. 

So I did.

I made the crusts....and a huge mess on the counter. That cauliflower gets all over the place when you pulse it in the Cuisinart!

 I sautéed the onions, sliced up the chicken and then browned it on the stove. I am sure peppers can be added to the mix to make it more authentic, but I don't like 'em! Then I tossed in a wedge of Laughing Cow and mixed it up as it melted. That goes on top of the wrap.


I added some Heinz Low Sugar ketchup.


While it doesn't rival Geno's or Pat's from Philadelphia, it surely satisfies a craving!

Chicken Philly Cheesesteak with Cauliflower Wrap

1 head of cauliflower, cut into chunks
1 egg
1/4 parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fat-free Mozzarella
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic
dash of pepper
2 large chicken cutlets (boneless breasts), sliced into strips
1 T olive oil
1 onion (I prefer Vidalia...no tears!), sliced thin
1 pepper, sliced into strips
1-2 wedges of Laughing Cow Light
salt
pepper



Preheat oven to 450

Pulse cauliflower in food processor until it is the consistency of sand. Or couscous. I don't know. Just tiny granules!

Transfer to a microwave-safe container, cover with plastic wrap and cook on high for four minutes.

Dump out onto a clean, dry dishtowel. Let cool for a while or you're going to burn your hands when you squeeze out the water!

After its cool enough, squeeze the living daylights out of that cauliflower. The drier you get it, the better your results will be!

Put in a bowl and add the egg, cheeses, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until blended. Make 2 balls out of the cauliflower. 

Put one ball between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper. Flatten out with hands or rolling pin. Repeat with the other ball.

Bake on parchment paper for 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool if you aren't using it as a pizza crust.

Caramelize the onions and pepper in the oil. Remove from pan and add chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook through. I like to cook until they get nice and golden. Add the Laughing Cow and stir until melted.

Put the chicken mixture on the cauliflower and add condiments. Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment