Monday, January 19, 2015

BBQ Chicken Pizza Redux

Let's move onto cookbook #10 of 98....


I bought this book sometime around the beginning of the show in 2006. I was easily swayed by the magic that happened on the ranch back then....before I knew that they worked the contestants like animals and that losing that much weight that quickly was a recipe for disaster. 

The Biggest Loser was and still is a big proponent of product placement. Big companies pay a ton of money to have the show pimp their product. Most of these products are full of chemicals, like sugar-free Jello, yogurts with aspartame, Subway, and Extra Sugar-Free Gum. No thanks.

But...the cookbook does have some pretty good ideas. 

I made turkey sausage and it was really good...no funky ingredients.

Then I saw a recipe for Thin-and-Crispy BBQ-Chicken Pizza Snack Wedges.

I love me some BBQ Chicken Pizza!

The best I have ever had is in Moorestown, NJ near my mother-in-law. It comes from Passariello's.


Hello gorgeous!

Well, that's not happening anytime soon.

The Biggest Loser recipe reminded me just how much I love the combination of the barbecue sauce, chicken, cheese, onion and cilantro...and had me wondering how I could make it work.

The base of the "pizza" was a tortilla in the original recipe. I subbed a cauliflower crust. My favorite recipe for that can be found here.

The chicken, onion, and fat-free cheddar were all totally 17 DD compliant. The cilantro is technically not allowed until Cycle 3...but I was going to be a rebel and eat that one teaspoon of it anyway!

Barbecue Sauce...notorious for sugar. What I didn't realize was that there are ZILLIONS of different sauces out there. I wasn't going to go for a sugar-free one because, well, ick. The dietician agreed with me in the Biggest Loser Cookbook and suggested to find a sauce with less than 7 grams of carbs per serving.

So, after squatting all over the condiment aisle at the store, I found this guy:


If you can see the label, there are six carbs and four grams of sugar in two tablespoons. Not bad.

I only used one tablespoon. Even better!

So while this may not be technically compliant, I think it's close enough. Plus, I can understand all of the ingredients.

Once the crust is made, it's super easy to throw together. The chicken can be pulled from an already cooked breast, or you can do what I did and thinly slice a chicken cutlet and cook with salt and pepper.

I made a bunch, so I can add some to other recipes or salad:


I spread the one tablespoon of barbecue sauce on the crust, added the fat-free cheddar, the chicken, the red onion and cilantro:


Threw it in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes and done!


I would have photographed it on a nice white plate, but it was stuck to the damn foil. Guess I should have used some PAM?

Regardless, it was SO GOOD! Totally hit the spot for me.

Despite my bad feelings about The Biggest Loser show, I am keeping this book. There were quite a few recipes that may not be great as they are written, but gave me some wonderful ideas.

Here's my take on the recipe:

BBQ Chicken Pizza with Cauliflower Crust

1 cauliflower crust (about the size of a large tortilla)
1 Tablespoon Stubbs BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup fat-free shredded cheddar
handful of grilled or shredded chicken
1 teaspoon of chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons slivered red onion

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray before putting crust on it. Spread BBQ sauce on, then cheese, chicken, onion and cilantro. Heat for 5 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment