Saturday, January 3, 2015

This Old Dog Learned A New Trick!

I make breakfast for dinner one night each week.

I've written about it here.

After re-commiting myself (again) to the 17 Day Diet, I found that I was not going to be able to have my usual turkey bacon with my eggs at dinner on Cycle 1.

I knew that there was a recipe on some of the blogs for do-it-yourself Turkey Sausage but for some reason I had avoided it for the past year. Not sure why. I think I thought that it was going to be disgusting.

Well, tonight was the night that I went for it. Mostly out of desperation. I needed some sort of meat!

Surprise, surprise! It was actually pretty darn good! So good in fact that my picky son who loves his bacon, ham, and sausage of all kinds ate TWO of the patties that I made!

I adapted the recipe from here, one of the original 17 Day Diet recipe blogs.

I really just adapted it to suit one package of turkey breast since the original recipe calls for two pounds and all I had was the 20 ounce package that I had picked up at Target earlier in the day.

Turkey Sausage

1 20 ounce package of ground turkey (or chicken) breast
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until blended.

Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, coat with olive oil or PAM

Form the turkey sausage into patties and cook until browned on both sides, and no longer pink in the middle

OR

Cook as crumbles to mix into recipes!



I ended up starting the patties in the pan

 And then ended up finishing them off in the oven


I served them with Artichoke Parmesan Frittata and roasted carrots. 


It just goes to show you that you can teach an old dog new tricks! I turned up my nose at this one and it ended up being super quick and tasty...and much healthier than anything I could buy in the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment