Saturday, February 7, 2015

Bargain-Basement Balls

This was a new one for me.

I've never made falafel before.

I've bought it many times, fresh and frozen....but never attempted to do it from scratch.

Cookbook #16 of 99 finally got me to try it.

Another random vegetarian cookbook in my collection. Not sure where it came from, but it originated in the UK. I know this because they use words like aubergine instead of eggplant and courgette instead of zucchini. The measurements are also given in metrics. It looks like something you'd find on the $5 table at Borders or Barnes and Noble. It's even got a terribly boring name....



It is so obscure,  I can barely find any reference to it online other than a few used book sites.

Admittedly, I was pretty worried about what I was going to get out of this generic, bargain-basement book. But...I was committed to the project and figured that falafel was my safest bet.

1 lb 7 ounces of canned chick peas, drained
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 1/2 ounces whole-wheat bread
2 small red chilis
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbs chopped cilantro
1 egg, beaten
3 1/2 ounces bread crumbs

Put the chick peas, garlic, onion, chilis, spices and cilantro in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. Stir and season well. Remove the mixture from the food processor and roll into walnut-sized balls.

Place the beaten egg in a shallow bowl. Dip the balls in the egg to coat and then roll in the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess.

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Fry the falafel in batches 2-3 minutes until crisp and browned, then drain on paper towels.



So, what's the verdict?

To be honest with you, I only ate one bite. I'm watching my figure, remember?

My husband really enjoyed it. We didn't have the typical falafel fixings like pita, tahini, lettuce and tomato, so he made do with some tzatziki, carrot hummus, guacamole and some sort of green chiles.

For a non-descript, bargain-basement book, Vegetarian isn't that bad. I think we'll hang onto it for a while!





No comments:

Post a Comment