Thursday, February 12, 2015

My Heart Belongs to Whole Foods

It's no secret that I've had a long-standing love affair with Whole Foods.

Its one of my happy places. I get a Whole Foods high every time I step through the doors. There is just something intoxicating about it. I don't know if its something that they pump through the ventilation system, or just the dizzying array of exotic products that haven't been tainted with preservatives and pesticides.

I was fortunate enough to have been invited to an event back in November to explore Whole Foods Thanksgiving options, which I wrote about here.

This time I got to go back for a Valentine's event, and I'm going to share the love with all of you right now!


Last time, we had a sit-down dinner to sample all of Whole Foods offerings. This time, it was a more casual environment, with stations set up with delicious Valentine foods, gift ideas and some beautiful floral arrangements that are offered this time of year.

There are some amazing specials going on, and a great selection of floral arrangements, from a single rose in a bud vase to tulips. There were also some very creative options, like this one:


Not the greatest shot, but I love the pussy willow stems crafted into a heart! 

They had some gift items as well, and I ended up gifting myself some of the Savannah Bee lotion later on in the evening! Happy V-Day to me!

Aside from the flowers and the gifts, there were seven other stations set up with delicacies to entice everyone. 

There was the ubiquitous Valentine's Day dinner....surf and turf. Whole Foods is offering an outrageous deal this year:


Seriously? $19.99 for two steaks and two lobster tails? Ridiculous! I passed on the lobster due to allergies, but I had some sirloin. It was good, but I would punch it up a bit at home with a compound butter while heating it up. Amazing deal, though!

I much preferred this option:


Sole with Caper Lemon Butter Sauce, Herb Truffled Fingerling Potatoes with Crispy Shallots, and Ribboned Carrots with Baby Brussels Sprouts. The fish was delicate and perfectly cooked, with a gentle lemon-butter flavor. The veggies were good, and I even ate the sprouts like a good girl! But those potatoes? Oh my. I needed a moment with those. I'm not sure if it's because I've been off the carbs for so long or what, but those potatoes were making my head explode with delight. Insanely good.

There was also the option of Coffee and Vanilla Rubbed Pork. Same sides as the fish. The pork was very tender, and had more of a kick than I had expected! There was some cayenne in there, as well as chili powder. It was an unexpected but pleasant surprise.


Pasta was also represented in the form of Heart-Shaped Ravioli that was stuffed with crab and lobster:

There was also a pasta company from South Jersey called Severino Pasta that had some heart-shaped pasta. They supply all of the fresh pasta to Whole Foods as well as some of their sauces.


Now we come to my two most unexpected favorites...

One of them is from a wonderful company that makes a product called Just Mayo. It is a delicious egg-free mayonnaise. There is the most adorable woman who demos the product at Whole Foods all of the time. The kind of lady that hugs you when you say goodbye. Just as sweet as can be! We are big fans of the product...but I was wondering what the heck she was doing at a Valentine's Day event. Mayo? Not so sexy.

Well, consider me wrong.

This mayo was dead sexy. Don't believe me? Just watch...

Where's the mayo? What? You don't see it?

It's there. It's in the chocolate.

I was blown away. It was delicious. 

Fortunately, my new BFF the Just Mayo lady shared her recipe with me and I will now share it with you:

1/2 cup packed cocoa powder
3/4 cup Just Mayo
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T milk

Beat cocoa powder, Just Mayo and vanilla together until well combined. Add milk and sugar and whip until smooth.

Serve with strawberries, graham crackers, or whatever else you want to slather chocolate deliciousness on!

The other product that I fell for was from a company called RIPE. They make "bar juice" that is cold-pressed and 100% natural. Simple, pure ingredients. Low glycemic. Insanely good. 


So good that I went and bought some to bring home. The Mojito was phenomenal, and its a fun mixer  with or without the alcohol. With more snow coming our way this weekend here in Connecticut, I'm happy to know I have a little bit of summertime in my glass with this product!

So what's Valentine's Day without the chocolate?

Well, Whole Foods has covered ALL of the bases. From custom chocolate-dipped strawberries, to cheesecakes, cupcakes, layer cakes and tiered cakes you are all set to go into sugar-shock.

Look at these gorgeous creations:



So there you have it. Whole Foods put out yet another stellar spread for the holiday. And one that won't break the bank, either! Can you imagine getting steak, lobster and two dozen roses for under $50? That's NUTS!!!

I know I'll be celebrating with my two favorite guys this Valentine's Day and some provisions from my favorite store...Whole Foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment