Wednesday, February 4, 2015

New York State of Mind

Living on Long Island for the first 25 years of my life has turned me into a bit of a snob.

A bagel snob.

There is nowhere else I have been (and I've been around) that beats the bagels of my youth. 

You just can't top a Long Island bagel!

As a kid, there were the basics. Plain, poppy, egg, sesame, salt, onion, everything and raisin. As I got older, they started making stupid crap like French Toast bagels and spinach bagels. Those are NOT bagels. 

For me, the ultimate is an "everything" bagel. Poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, minced onion and minced garlic. There are some places that throw in caraway seeds...but I hate those. Ick.

An everything bagel with lox spread, olive cream cheese, or just plain old cream cheese. Oh, mama! That is heaven!


Alas...bagels are the enemy. Carbs like that are not my friend.

But that doesn't mean I don't have a craving every once in a while!

Pinterest came along and gave me some inspiration with these Everything Bagel Cauliflower Rolls. 




Ingredients
  1. 1 head cauliflower, riced (about 3 cups) - do this in the food processor
  2. 2 tbsp almond flour
  3. 1 tbsp coconut flour
  4. 1 tbsp corn meal (not paleo- you can sub almond flour)
  5. 2 eggs
  6. 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  7. 1/4 tsp sea salt
"Everything" Topping
  1. 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
  2. 1 tbsp sesame seeds
  3. 1 tsp dried minced garlic
  4. 1 tbsp dried minced onion
  5. 1/2 tsp sea salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. In a food processor, or using a hand grater, pulse/grate cauliflower until rice consistency
  3. In a bowl combine eggs, cauliflower rice, almond flour, coconut flour, corn meal, garlic powder, and salt   
  4. In a separate bowl combine "everything" topping ingredients
  5. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet
  6. Make 4 even sized balls and lay onto parchment paper
  7. Sprinkle "everything" topping and slightly press them into the top
  8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bread-like consistency (it might be longer depending on the size you make)
  9. Optional: Broil on high for 3-5 minutes after baking - be careful! Mine got a bit too brown.
  10. Optional: For extra crisp, remove from baking sheet and do the broiling step with the buns directly on the oven rack and try not to set the smoke alarm off like I did!
  11. Remove from baking sheet and let cool directly on a cooling rack
  12. Serve with your favorite sandwich ingredients  

So....how was this? Was it worth buying a bag of almond flour and coconut flour?

I think so! It wasn't a bagel by any means, but it did fit the bill for having something bread-like. I haven't had a sandwich that was 17 Day Diet appropriate in a long time. We were having breakfast for dinner, so I used a slice of turkey bacon, some avocado and a wedge of Laughing Cow Light.

So while it isn't taking me back to Long Island, it will keep me on track with my diet!



No comments:

Post a Comment