Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Split Pea Heaven

I was a total slug this weekend.

Between the below zero temperatures, the Valentine's Day gluttony, and the four and a half hours I spent on the couch watching the SNL40 special, I feel like garbage.

Not enough fresh air, too many carbs, and a neglected house.

Time to push the reset button!

I'm like the Very Hungry Caterpillar who needs just one green leaf to feel better. Hopefully that will do the trick!

I did make some soup yesterday that is unbelievably delicious...if you like split pea.

It is incredibly easy to do, and only has a few ingredients. The only one that I wonder about nutritionally are the smoked turkey legs. Obviously there is a salt factor going on, and some other shady ingredients. But...I may have to try with regular turkey legs and see if it still works because this soup is ridiculous.

3 carrots, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 T olive oil
1 cup green split peas
2 medium smoked turkey legs
Pepper
(I am leaving out the salt due to the smoky turkey)

Heat olive oil in stockpot. Sauté carrots, celery, onion and garlic until they begin to sweat. Add split peas and turkey legs. Add water to cover just above the split peas. Cover and simmer for an hour or so.

Remove turkey legs and let cool. Shred meat off the bone, discard skin. Add the meat back into the soup.

That's it, people. It's that easy.


2 comments:

  1. I've only ever cooked this with a ham bone. In my family Xmas get togethers it's usually a mad dash on who gets the ham bone into their leftover loot bag. My mother made us suffer through this Awful soup cause our father enjoyed it. We all hated it Hated it. Then one day my sister order it in restaurant years after leaving home. Couldn't believe how good it was when done with a ham bone and plenty of garlic. Another thing my mother avoided

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I wouldn't touch pea soup with a 10-foot pole until I was at least 30 years old. When I was a kid I thought it looked like barf! Now I can't get enough! I hope you try out this recipe, it is a good one!

    ReplyDelete