Saturday, March 30, 2013

An Evening With Auntie Ina

Last night I got to spend some quality family time with Auntie.

Ok, it was from far, far away in the Mezzanine and we didn't actually talk. I suppose we could have if I was bold enough to go to one of the microphones to ask her a question, but I wasn't. Despite the fact that I had SO many things to ask her, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Especially after poor Auntie was blindsided by some stupid woman who asked her why she didn't have any children. Thankfully Ina answered with a "Thaaaats a very personal question!" The audience exploded with applause and I am guessing that the only reason no one spit on or tripped the questioner was because we were all a civilized bunch of middle aged ladies who would never do such things outside of our own minds! Auntie followed up with "I don't have children and I am happy with my life the way it is!" Good for her. Besides, she can borrow me if she needs one. I even come with an adorable grandchild to spoil.

Overall it was a fun night. Mostly because my best friend and I got a night away from our mom/wife routine. We usually spend the entire time laughing, and Auntie provided for some great punchlines that night. I'll spare you the sordid details, because some things just need to stay between friends!

We arrived at the Bushnell Theater in Hartford and were immediately laughing at the fact that there were close to two thousand middle aged women there, some clutching their cookbooks like they were the Bible. I suppose in our minds we are still 22 years old, but the only thing separating us from them was the fact that we didn't bring our cookbooks with us!

Our seats were WAY back in the Mezzanine but we had a clear view of the stage. It was arranged with two overstuffed chairs and a small table with flowers in-between them. Kind of like an Oprah set. The moderator came out to introduce Ina and we could tell within sixty seconds that this woman was a real dingbat. I have no idea what she as wearing, but from where we were it looked like leggings and a sweater purchased at the flea market. Interesting choice. If you know Auntie, then you shouldn't be surprised by what she was wearing. Black slacks, black button down. Typical Ina uniform. She acknowledged her fashion deficits by sharing the information that she mistakenly went to school for Fashion Design....and followed that statement up with a "Come on, I mean look at me....!"

The moderator asked a series of questions that I now know were mostly repeated at all of Auntie's appearances. She seemed to use the same punchlines at all of them. Auntie was in control and gave as much information as she was comfortable giving. This doesn't surprise me, but I was shocked that she let people ask questions that she did not have "cleared" by her assistant. Fortunately there was only one loose cannon that night. The rest were all Ina-worshippers who groveled at her feet.

Amongst the two thousand women were a few men. Directly behind us were two older married couples that made us feel like we were watching a show in Boca Raton. Lots of loud, running commentary. Effusive clapping, laughter, etc. It was like having our parents sitting behind us.

I did not learn much about Ina that I didn't already know, but it was fun to see her live and in person. She certainly giggles a whole lot, just like she does on the show. After every sentence.


She also told us how it takes a day and a half to tape one 22 minute episode. When the moderator asked if she's had any "fails" while taping, Ina said that she was having difficulty carving a duck, and a word that rhymed with "duck" may have slipped out. I knew it! I feel so much better knowing Auntie can drop a good F-bomb like the rest of us! Ina also said that she tests her recipes at least 20 times, including having her assistant cook it while she watches. She also claims to wash her own dishes, but I call bullshit on that one.

Of course she mentioned how important it was to use "good" ingredients


She also said that when she entertains she makes a flow chart of her plans for the evening so she can refer to that and keep herself organized. While I couldn't find a picture of one, I did find this hilarious one (and the previous photos) over at www.foodnetworkhumor.com that explains how an episode of Barefoot Contessa is made.


Other little tidbits included info about her cookbook writing process, that it takes two years to complete and she is working on the next one. She plans on doing this until they "drag her out by her feet" and that it drives her crazy when the dishwasher is loaded the wrong way it drives her crazy. I was disappointed in all of the applause and excitement she received when she talked up her line of frozen slop. I wanted to stand up and yell, "Nooooooo!" but I held back. I refused to clap, though. So there.

Auntie said that when she first got married she got the Julia Child Mastering The Art of French Cooking, and cooked her way through that. When I first got married, I got the Barefoot Contessa Book. So I guess that makes Ina my Julia. I'll take her, giggles, frozen slop, and all. Now off to the kitchen...

No comments:

Post a Comment