Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again

Ok, I've calmed down a little bit from yesterday's news about Auntie's foray into frozenville. I am still not happy about it, but I promised to cook on.

After I burned the base of the Homemade Granola last week, I still had all of the dried fruit that went with it sitting in a bag. Now that I have joined the land of the living again, I decided it was time to tackle it one more time.

Here is a shot of the oats, coconut, and almonds before they are coated with a mixture of oil and honey:



Looks good when it isn't burned, right?

After its baked for WAY less than the 45 minutes she suggests it gets cooled on a cookie sheet. Once it was ready I added the chopped apricots, figs, cherries, cranberries and cashews. It makes a large amount and should keep for at least a week in a sealed container.



According to My Fitness Pal there is about 340 calories in a half cup serving. Granola is typically a calorie bomb, so it's not so shocking.

In other news, I did get over to ShopRite today and found Ina in the freezer. I was the crazy lady who was taking photographs of the nutritional labels in the middle of the aisle. While I was at least glad to see that the ingredients listed in the few different varieties they had weren't things that I could not pronounce, it is still shocking and disappointing seeing Auntie's face peering at me from between the Bertolli and Lean Cuisine pouches. I'm so ashamed.

I can't let that take away from the fact that the majority of Ina's recipes are winners. Including this granola. It is delicious. The figs are my favorite part, but I am assuming you can play around with any kind of dried fruit. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby it is the best place to get all of your dried fruits and nuts for a decent price.

Here's the recipe:

Homemade Granola







No comments:

Post a Comment