Thursday, March 7, 2013

Curried Couscous Salad

Today is the kind of day where it's hard to get motivated. It's snowing, but not enough to disrupt anything. School and work went on as usual. I was hoping for a snow day, and had visions of simultaneously cleaning my house and cooking some more of Auntie's recipes. Of course what really would have happened was that I would clean one small area, and be so proud about it that I would reward myself with a computer break. We all know that short "break" would end up spiraling into something longer. I'm wondering if I don't need an intervention. Between Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and the random blogs and news sites I check daily, I lose more time than I should. Technology is amazing, but I do wonder how our lives suffer because of it?

But this isn't about that, is it? Where's the food???

So, I have the ingredients laying around to make granola, carmelized butternut squash, turkey meatloaf, and fingerling potatoes. But the other thing that is laying around is me. On the couch.

Fortunately I had made something the other day and saved it for a time where I needed a blog post. A dish I have made quite a few times in the past. It's not necessarily a great dish for cold weather...I usually make it in Summer for outdoor eating. G and I enjoy it though any old time, so I busted out the Curried Couscous Salad.



Not everyone is a curry fan. I know I hated it when I was a kid. But the curry in this recipe just gives it a little kick. It is super easy to make, and my favorite part is that there are no pots involved! Just boil some water, pour over the couscous, let stand for a few minutes, fluff it up and add the rest of the ingredients. Some currants, almonds, diced carrot, red onion, and scallion. The moisture comes from a mix of olive oil, plain yogurt, white wine vinegar and spices. Its great at room temperature or cold.

I imagine Ina sold a lot of this at the Barefoot Contessa shop. It's been closed for ten years now, but before it did I was lucky enough to get over there to do some taste testing. My parents drove us out to East Hampton and I picked out all kinds of goodies to compare and contrast to what I had cooked from the book! She really does put those extra a's in faaaabulous.

As for the calorie count...295. Here's the recipe, darlings.....

Curried Couscous Salad


No comments:

Post a Comment