Monday, March 11, 2013

Auntie Needs an Intervention, and I Need A Drink...

Oh. My. F-ing. Goodness.

Pardon my language, but I am SHOCKED!

Auntie has gone and done something that is absolutely HORRIFYING!

Way beyond my wildest dreams. Waaaaaay worse than anything I could have imagined.

Are you ready?

You may need to sit down. Have a drink. Brace yourself.

Ina Garten (I can't even bear to refer to her as Auntie at the moment) has gone and sold out completely. Not like her mixes for Stonewall Kitchen that sell at Crate and Barrel. Those I think are ridiculous and unnecessary but not beneath her completely. This is just unspeakable.

Frozen food, people. Sold at WALMART!

First of all, I despise Walmart. It's disgusting in so many ways. Call me a snob, I don't care...but I can't stand that place. I am strictly a Target girl.

Know who peddles their crap at Walmart? Paula Deen and Guy Fieri. Even Giada knew to stick to Target when she decided to sell her crap.

The only place that's lower than Walmart is the Dollar Store.

This is serious, people.

I think Ina needs an intervention. Could you picture her rolling into Walmart in her BMW convertible to go shopping and grabbing a few bags of frozen meals? Would she serve them to Jeffrey? Or her gays? Or the workmen? I just don't see it.

Believe me, I use frozen food. I have nothing against it. But, there is something not right about the words "Barefoot Contessa" and "frozen food" together.

Here are the details:



Bestselling Cookbook Author and Food Network host Ina Garten launches Barefoot Contessa Sauté Dinners for Two
(East Hampton, NY, February XX) Ina Garten is pleased to announce the launch of Barefoot Contessa Sauté Dinners for Two, available this Spring in the freezer section of grocery stores nationwide. Based on Ina's favorite recipes and using the best quality ingredients, the dinners can be prepared at home in a sauté pan in about 10 minutes.
"Sometimes even the Barefoot Contessa doesn't have time to cook," Ina says. "I've already grilled the chicken, grated the cheeses, simmered the sauce, and chopped the fresh herbs, so in minutes you can make a freshly prepared dinner for your family. How easy is that?"
Dinners include Barefoot Contessa Penne Pasta with 5 Cheeses, Sesame Chicken & Noodles, Beef Stew Bourguignon, Tequila Lime Chicken, Shrimp Scampi & Linguine, Creamy Chicken Stew, Pasta Carbonara with Pancetta, Garlic & Ginger Chicken, and Jambalaya. The dinners for two will retail for approximately $8.99.
Ina has been closely involved in every step of creating her Barefoot Contessa Sauté Dinners for Two, and she also includes serving suggestions to make each dinner taste "Even Better." The dinners are prepared by Contessa Premium Foods Inc in its LEED-Gold-Certified "green" plant.
"Nothing tastes better than a freshly cooked dinner with great ingredients," says Ina. "Your family will think you're brilliant."
About Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa
Ina Garten is the author of eight New York Times bestselling cookbooks, including the latest Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, which spent nine weeks at #1. Ina is the Emmy award-winning host of the Food Network Show Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics. She lives in East Hampton with her husband Jeffrey.



So. There you have it. I'm still somewhat speechless. Of course, I will look at ShopRite for them (because you can't pay me to step into my raggedy-ass local WalMart) and buy one just so I can write about it.

Despite the fact that I think she's a total sellout now, I am going to continue cooking from her book. She really does have great recipes...but she should have quit while she was ahead. Guess Auntie needs a new vacation home in Napa after her trip there? I can't imagine why else she'd stoop so low.

2 comments:

  1. Love Ina's saute' dinners! Thank you for an option after a busy day to enjoy a great dinner instead of a drive thru or frozen pizza!
    I have suggested these to my elderly friends who cook for one as this is a great option and gives them two meals in one.
    We are trying our second one tonight.
    I have all of Ina's cookbooks and use them regularly, I knew these dinners would be fabulous and meet her standards of quality.
    Don't put them down if you haven't tried them and who cares where you buy them?? I'm not a walmart shopper but there are other stores that carry them. Thanks Ina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesley, thanks for your comment. I agree that Ina's frozen dinners are great for people who don't cook and want something different. I have however, tried it and it does not at all compare to the original recipe as I blogged about in the Beef Bourguignon challenge. While it isn't bad, I don't personally care for it.

    ReplyDelete